Bob Dylan

In DeAgostini's opinion, we need to hear Dylan's eponymous (vocab point!) first album third. 
Commercially it makes sense I suppose. There are no well-known original songs on here for them to push. 

I definitely feel we are going backwards. 

There are times when he seems to be trying too hard to get that gutbucket folk/blues voice, almost to the extent of shredding his larynx. 

This may explain a lot in the future, of course. 

Most of the songs on this album are Trad.  House of the Rising Sun, Man of Constant Sorrow. An awful lot about death for a twenty-year old. 

He generally does them well. His acoustic guitar fair rattles along. 

Delighted to still hear the odd flub and slightly out -of-tune guitars, though curiously fewer than on the next two albums. 

Just two originals here, of which Talkin' New York is the better. 

Many artists have a song on an album that proves to be the sign of things to come. Talkin' New York is very like what we will hear on TFBD and TTTAA.

I think I could already have guessed this from what I know of him, but this clear backwards step shows how much he develops in three albums.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another side of Bob Dylan

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan